Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What is a modern marriage?


Life does not change after marriage. Period.
It’s a little annoying to keep replying to the same set of questions post marriage – has your life changed? Have you become more responsibly? Does life revolve around your husband? Do you cook? Oh! You are working and are married?!!
Well, I got married. Didn’t develop a disease for sure.
Recently stumbled upon this very cute advertisement on TV from Airtel where the wife is a boss and a wife who cooks.
On one hand I loved the ad. Loved that they were showing changing stereotype. Loved the fact that the husband was ok to have his wife as his boss. But are we looking at a change as an audience?
 As a woman it felt good to see her in that position and bad because - why does she need to cook to show her love as a wife? Couldn’t she help him with his presentation for instance? I do that often.
So on the surface it looks like things are changing but right there in the middle of the ad she needs to shift gear and get into the kitchen to cook.  Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking and I cook a lot but not to show that am a loving wife.
Modern women show love in so many different ways. I park my husband’s car often when he is in a hurry or the other day I dropped him off in his car to boys night out as I didn’t want him to drink and drive. I think that is more modern, more the changing trend. I see my friends whose husbands love to cook a meal for them while they are at work. A modern couple go in for adoption for instance, or go for baking classes together, or even run a marathon together. A modern husband lets his wife travel alone and be what she wants to do.  
While the attempt is superb and brave for a brand to show what they show, it is also a responsibility to show something that is actually changing trends. As advertisers we don’t realize that we do have influence on mindsets.




No comments: